Monday 5 March 2012

The colour of life

After the interview on Friday I met up with Tina and we had a bite to eat and a drink at the The Baron Cadogan (a Weatherspoons pub) in Caversham. It was really nice to chat with Tina and no-one at all in the pub paid us any attention. Tina had noticed the delay at round about midday on the radio station whilst the fire alarm was sounded and the building evacuated. We talked about this and that and the other. Really nice.

A thought occurred to me yesterday when thinking about something Bill Buckley had said during the interview. He mentioned how people often seem to want to see things as being black or white and aren’t comfortable with the fact that life often isn’t like that.

That also reminds me of a song from way back in the early 1970’s from a Christian musical called Lonesome Stone. I really loved it. A group of us from Loughborough University went to see it sometime in either 1973 or 74. The song is Where do we go from here? The lyrics are:

Where do we go from here?

Where do we go from here?

Oh, I gotta know right now.

Where do we go from here?

Does it matter, anyhow?

There’s a thousand roads to take.

Is there one that’s meant for me?

There’s a thousand plans to make.

Will they help me in eternity?

Is there something in the stars?

Is there someone in control?

Do I have to go to Mars,

To end this searching of my soul?

Where do we go from here?

Oh, I gotta know right now.

Where do we go from here?

Does it matter, anyhow?

Is there any right or any wrong?

Is there any black or any white?

Or is there only shades of grey?

What would happen if I died tonight?

Where do we go?

There was a time when I looked for rights and wrongs. Blacks and whites.

And then I began to see lots of shades of grey, with a lot less absolutes.

Over this weekend I realised life really isn’t supposed to be shades of grey.

But nor is it black and white.

It’s a multitude of bright sparkling colours.

It really is.

Wow. 

I know. It’s obvious when you think about it. But somehow the bleedin’ obvious can be surprisingly hard to see.

No comments: